Deadline: before November 6 every year
Course Starts: Every May and September
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is a scholarship that was created to attract, support and retain world-class doctoral students and to make Canada a center of global excellence when it comes to research and higher learning. This scholarship is awarded towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
Any Canadian University with the Vanier CGS allocation can host students who have been awarded the scholarship.
Levels and field of study:
This scholarship is for Ph.D. programs (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) for people interested in health research; engineering research, natural sciences, social sciences and humanities research.
Number Of Scholarships Awarded yearly:
166 scholarship positions are awarded to students who merit it annually.
This scholarship is targeted towards international students, Permanent residents of Canda and Canadian citizens who are eligible and have been nominated for a Vanier CGS.
The Vanier CGS scholarship is worth $50,000 every year for three years.
In order to be eligible for the Vanier CGS, you have to:
- be nominated by one and only one Canadian University or institution. Also, this institution should have received a Vanier CGS quota.
- be pursuing the doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component) for the very first time. Also, it is good to know that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2020
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Candidates must be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system. The nominating institution then forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by 6 November every year
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and to know the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html